Maintenance is one of the most important parts of being a landlord—but it's nobody's favorite part. For anyone who expected to sit back and enjoy the passive income of a rental property, having to handle day-to-day maintenance chores can make that "passive" income feel awfully active.
When you work with a qualified provider of Leesburg property management services, they can take a lot of the hassle out of property maintenance. However, if you decide to try and tackle these tasks alone, it helps to at least have some guidance on what to look for when targeting maintenance for your rental home. Use these rental property maintenance tips to keep your tenants happy and your business running smoothly.
Please note: This article is not intended as legal guidance. When in doubt, reach out to your neighborhood property management company in Leesburg for real-time assistance!
1. Know What Needs to Be Done
The first step to handling the maintenance of your rental property is knowing what maintenance for an investment home entails. This is essential not only if you plan on doing this maintenance yourself, but so that you can line up the appropriate vendors for common issues.
Every property is different, and you may be faced with unique maintenance challenges depending on whether you are renting out a single-family home, condo, or multi-unit property. To properly maintain your rental property, it helps to target some of the most common maintenance chores that Leesburg property management services cover:
- Caring for the HVAC, including regular service and filter replacement
- Upkeep of appliances, including washers, dryers, and water heaters
- Watching for leaks and water damage
- Maintain structural elements like doors, windows, and foundations
- Making sure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors work.
As the owner of a Leesburg rental property, it's also essential that you fully understand your responsibilities when it comes to maintenance. Go over the most up-to-date Florida landlord and tenant laws, so you know what your role is as a landlord.
2. Vet Your Vendors
It's important to always thoroughly vet your vendors so you aren’t hiring people that would bring liability to you and danger to your tenants. When you're hiring someone to handle maintenance or repairs at your property, be sure to always ask for references, and pay attention to certifications and insurance policies.
It's also wise to interview multiple vendors.
- Don't necessarily go with the first contractor you talk to or the one who offers the lowest price.
- Choose vendors who are trustworthy and well qualified.
- Check to see if the company is registered with the Better Business Bureau.
- Validate a company's integrity and performance through background checks and an internet search.
When you work with a qualified provider of Leesburg property management services, they already have a network of trusted maintenance providers and contractors! This not only saves you time as a landlord but ensures you provide the safest home for your renters.
3. Don't Bite off More Than You Can Chew
Even if you consider yourself a jack of all trades with lots of DIY experience, remember that just because you can fix something doesn’t mean you should. You're liable for all repairs and maintenance you perform on your property, so don't make the mistake of overestimating your abilities.
- This isn't to say you can never do your own maintenance, but be sure you're truly qualified before you get to work.
- Every job must be done to the highest standards to keep your property sound and your tenants happy.
- Unless you're completely certain that you're qualified to handle a task on your own, it's always better to hire a pro.
- You can also contact a Leesburg property management company to oversee all the maintenance on your property.
4. Hire a Property Management Company
Maintenance is one of the largest expenses faced by owners of rental property, second only to vacancy when it comes to the overall cost. However, it's also worth remembering that maintaining your property isn't just an investment of money; it's also an investment of time.
Your time is valuable, and you could end up spending a lot of it doing daily chores on your property! Hiring a qualified provider of Leesburg property management services ensures that all the necessary maintenance of your property will be taken care of quickly and professionally, freeing you up to do what you do best—investing in property and reaping the rewards.
At Gunn Property Services, we have a dedicated team of in-house maintenance experts who oversee all maintenance services for properties under management.
- Our specialists are qualified to handle a wide range of maintenance and repairs.
- In the event that repairs are needed that are not covered by our in-house maintenance team, we have an extensive roster of proven and qualified contractors on call.
- We never add markups to contractors' invoices, and we pass along all discounts we have secured with our contractors to you!
Learn More About the Benefits of Property Management
- A well-maintained property is more likely to retain long-term tenants, and in many cases, can rent faster and net you higher rent.
- It will also bring in top dollar if you ever decide to sell your property down the road!
If you're interested in learning more about how professional property management can benefit you, contact us today at Gunn Property Services! As a family-owned and operated business, we know that many landlords get into property management to help secure their financial future. We don't play games with your investment: get in touch with us to see how property management can be an ally and an asset!